So, I’ve been hitting the tailspinning hard the last few days. I got dared at the Insubordiknit workshop to enter the Alpaca class of the Perth Royal Show with a tailspun yarn, and being a nut, I accepted. But of course, being that it’s the show, there was no cheating with commercial yarns.
So I spun two singles from huacaya alpaca true roving I bought very early on in my spinning career. It’s really lovely to spin, fluffy and easy to get a delicious long-draw from. Very directional though – which I thought was strange, being that it wasn’t combed top but carded prep. But there you go.
Once I’d got my singles done, I got on with the tailspinning. If you haven’t done this, it’s basically corespinning, with a lot of extra care taken to leave the locks intact and hanging out from the axis of the yarn. I’ve been sitting on two kinds of beautiful local suri alpaca locks, some fawn in colour and quite short but ridiculously, unbelievably soft, and the others silver grey, between five and eight inches long.
I alternated the two different kinds of suri as I corespun along, and ended up with 45m and 153g of beautiful yarn, that bung balanced as soon as I pulled it off the wheel.
Then I washed it, which took about six rounds of rinsing, and lost 12g of weight in sheer dirt. And the silver grey locks came out brilliant white. And if this won’t make a stunning cowl or capelet or collar for a cardi, I’ll give up spinning.
Actually, no I won’t. I’ll just try again.